The function of the Czech National Agency for ISBN and ISMN (CNA ISBN and ISMN) is performed by the National Library of the Czech Republic according to the Library Act (see also §9 (2) (c) of Act No. 257/2001 Coll.)
Who can use the CNA ISBN and ISMN services
The CNA ISBN and ISMN provides support at the national level mainly to:
- legal and natural persons established in the Czech Republic publishing books and/or e-books, notated music and/or notated e-music,
- libraries cataloguing books, e-books, music and e-music.
For the provision of services to natural persons, it is irrelevant whether they have an ID number or not.
CNA ISBN and ISMN services
- Administratively administers and manages the ISBN and ISMN systems at the national level.
- It assigns publisher identifiers to publishing entities registered in the ISBN and ISMN systems.
- It builds and manages the Directory of Publishers in the Czech Republic (NAK) containing a register of assigned publisher identifiers.
- Assigns, on request, individual ISBNs to books and e-books published in the ISBN system by non-registered entities and individual ISMNs to music books and e-music published in the ISMN system by non-registered entities.
- It manages the database of notified books and music (ISN) and notified e-books and e-music (ISN-e).
- It assigns individual ISBNs for retrospective numbering of books published without ISBNs and individual ISMNs for retrospective numbering of music published without ISMNs.
- It provides a replacement ISBN for books published with a duplicate number and a replacement ISMN for music books published with a duplicate number
ISBN-registered publishers number books published from their ISBN set, and ISMN-registered publishers number music books published from their ISMN set.
- ISBN system rules: ISO 2108.
- ISMN System rules: ISO 10957.
- Act on Non-Periodical Publications: Act No. 37/1995 Coll. (in Czech)
- Required information in the book and in the music book: https://www.nkp.cz/sluzby/sluzby-pro/isbn-ismn-issn/tiraz-vzor (in Czech)
- The assigned ISBN and ISMN are registered in the databases of the National Library of the Czech Republic.
- The assigned publisher identifiers are recorded in the Directory of Publishers in the Czech Republic (NAK). Once a year, updates are sent to the Global Register of Publishers (GRP), managed by the International ISBN Agency in London, and updates to the Music Publishers’ International ISMN Database, managed by the International ISMN Agency in Berlin.
National Library of the Czech Republic
Czech National Agency for ISBN and ISMN
110 00 Praha 1
102 00 Praha 15 – Hostivař